National University Sciences and Technology (NUST) organized a 02 Days Advance Level Training on “Koha & DSpace” for NUST Library & Information Professionals (LIS), IT Professionals and Archives officers on December 26-27, 2019 at NUST Main Campus. Islamabad. President Koha Pakistan Mr Sher Afzal Khan was a Resource Person for the above mentioned workshop. NUST LIS Professionals, IT Professionals and Archivists across the country (NUST Campuses) participated in this two days’ workshop.
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) was established in March 1991 for the promotion of higher scientific education in the country, especially in the fields of science and technology, by providing a stable and disciplined academic environment together with need-based research, pertinent to industrial requirements. National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) has won its place in the List of “Top 100 Asian Universities”, and is the only Pakistani university to achieve this unprecedented honor as per the ranking carried out by the world’s most renowned and prestigious ranking agency Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), UK.
NUST Professional Development Centre (PDC) chose Koha Pakistan for the subject training. The General Manger Professional Development Centre Mr Imrarn Nabi delivered the welcome address and highlighted the objective of this important workshop. The Chief Librarian Dr Midrar Ullah further elaborated the details of the workshop. He further emphasized that the same trainings may be regularly conducted for the professional development of IT staff and librarians working in the different departments of NUST. During training different modules of KOHA and DSpace were discussed. The Koha Pakistan was introduced to the participants which contain a complete library solutions of Koha and DSpace latest and updated versions. The others modules were comprehensively discussed and hands on training sessions were conducted for all the participants. The training also included presentation on MARC 21, OAI-PMH and Dublin Core Metadata.
Different modules of was discussed with practical demonstration. Basics of DSpace software were demonstrated and explained as to how this software could be applied for building of databases and creation of digital repositories.
Objectives of Workshop:
This workshop was planning to provide the best source of implantation of Koha and DSpace Software in all NUST Libraries across Pakistan and to make the Union Catalogue of all NUST libraries. The key objectives were:
- To develop a strategy of advance feature of Koha and DSpace for the IT professionals.
- To introduce the LINUX operating system to the IT and library professionals
- To acquaint the participants with the installation of Koha & DSpace
- Provides tremendous freedom for customization of all modules of LMS including Acquisition, Cataloguing, Circulation, OPAC, Membership Management, System, Administration, Serial Control, etc are available
- Help participants to develop necessary skills in installation, server and client configuration, system parameter setting, MARC 21 cataloguing and DMA (Digital Media Archiving) management
- Ability to cope up with any number of Branches, Patrons, Patron Categories, Item Categories, Currencies and other data
After successful completion of this training the participants will be able to:
- This training will enable IT and LIS professional to implement Koha and DSpace in their respective libraries.
- Train the trainees in the use of Koha and DSpace Digital Library (GSDL) Software
- Deploy / Install Koha & DSpace on your own computer /server Learn basic commands of Linux which may be helpful to use and customise Koha and other FOSS software more effectively Configure / customise Koha and DSpace according to your needs Learn the advanced features of Koha, GSDL and DSpace
In the last day the certificate were distributed among participants. The General manger and Chief Librarian thanks to the Resource Person Mr Sher Afzal Khan (President Koha Pakistan) for the valuable contribution and training to all Staff Member of NUST Libraries and IT Sections.
About the Trainer:
Mr Sher Afzal Khan is the President of Koha Pakistan community . He is a key resource person for Koha and DSpace in Pakistan and organised 100 workshops in Pakistan. He is also the approved trainer of Higher Education Commission Pakistan on Open Source Software and pioneer country Ambassador for Pakistan. He successfully implanted Koha and DSpace in 60+ organisation/Universities within Pakistan and abroad. He is also running the official blogs and Facebook page and provides free assistance and gaudiness to koha and DSpace users in Pakistan as well as globally. He also participate activity in kohacon 16 and kohacon 17 conference as speaker and represent Pakistan. He also organised Pakistan Open Sauce Summit in which a large number of people participated. Free and Open Source Software is his area of expertise/research. He is also the founder of LIBSOL (Complete Library Solution) packages (Latest Version of LIVE DVD of DSpace and Koha ) which is available free of cost for everyone. The LIBSOL can be found at the following link:
The link of his blogs and other voluntary Facebook page are as follows:
- The Link of Official Blogs of Koha and Dspace Pakistan
- The link of Facebook page for Koha and Dspace Pakistan
Leave a Reply